ABOUT THE HOUSE AT GATEWOOD
The Gatewood Estate property located on Highway 70 in Hillsborough, NC is approximately 16 acres, includes three houses, a large pond and beautiful landscaping features. Unknown to many, the property was originally built and occupied by the W.V. Fryer family in the 1940’s. They lived there until they moved to Florida in the 1950's after white oak timber resources for their family mill were depleted.
The property had a few other owners over the years before Dr. Joseph Gatewood, a local dentist purchased the estate and lived there for over 30 years. His name and many great stories about him and his dedication to the Hillsborough community have been associated with the property ever since.
Jen Spada, Olivia Gatewood, Chef Ron Spada
Old Meets New
The main estate house has been completely renovated – while still preserving its nostalgic character and natural property features. The garage has been replaced with an approximately 2,000 square foot addition to provide plenty of kitchen space and a wall has been opened to expand the visual footprint. The restaurant features three dining rooms, a large bar, enclosed and outdoor patios as well as two private rooms to host larger parties and events.
The new House at Gatewood serves as both a culinary destination and a fun gathering place for locals. The restaurant features innovative handcrafted food, beverages and an experience all infused by a warm Southern hospitality where old meets new.
The House at Gatewood
About the Chef
Chef Ron Spada began cooking when he was 14 years old and went on to graduate near the top of his class from Johnson & Wales with a degree in Culinary Arts. Chef Spada pursued his passion for cooking in New York City across fine dining and large event production.
Before moving to NC with his family, Ron owned a restaurant and catering business in Stockton, NJ named More Than Q. He was featured on "Eat This" with Chuck Thomas and was voted one of the best BBQs by New Jersey Monthly Magazine.
Chef Ron Spada
In the News
• The News of Orange County - House of Gatewood Becomes What It Was Always Meant To Be / February 2022
• Heart of NC Weddings - House at Gatewood Featured in The Heart of NC Weddings
• Chapel Hill Magazine’s Best of Chapel Hill 2021 Readers’ Favorite - Best Chef, Best Outdoor Dining, Best Place for Date Night, and Best Upscale Restaurant (pgs. 55, 56, 58 and 60).
• Chapel Hill Magazine’s Best of Chapel Hill 2020 Readers’ Favorite - Best Upscale Restaurant
• Home Design & Decor Magazine (article) #LOCALLOVE Summer 2020
• Best New Restaurant in Orange/Chatham County Finalist in INDY Week: Best of the Triangle 2019 Poll
• Best Steak in Orange/Chatham County Finalist in INDY Week: Best of the Triangle 2019 Poll
• “What We’re Eating” (article), Chapel Hill Magazine, September / October 2019
• “Flavor of the Week: The House at Gatewood” (article), Chapelboro.com, February 2019
Press and Media Contact